Terence MacSwiney L.Mayor Files Descriptive List (Ref. PR4)

PR4/4/ (FILE 4 )

59 Copy letter from MacSwiney to O/C 6th Battalion regarding arrangements for the forthcoming trial against Irish Volunteer Cronin, Courtbrack, in the new Volunteer Courts. 12 July 1920 1p 60 [13 July 1920] See PR4/1/12 61 MS letter to MacSwiney from Seamus Mac [Searta] offering the services of a reliable American to carry post for him and suggesting that Gavan Duffy might act as the Irish representative to meet Monsieur l'Abbe Mourmier a sympathetic French publicist interested in Irish affairs. 14 July 1920 2pp 62 Copy letter from MacSwiney to Domhnail (Daniel Corkery), concerning general administration. Notes that he will be looking for a compulsory General Order on the resignation of all English Justices of the Peace, that cases of appeal to the Supreme Court must first be sent to him and that the possibility of getting revenue from auctioneers' licenses is under discussion in Dublin. Also questions whether there any court cases are pending in Mid cork that may be recommended for visiting American journalists. 14 July 1920 2pp 63 Part of previous letter from MacSwiney (to Daniel Corkery) regarding general administration. Questions whether there are any court cases pending in Mid Cork that may be recommended for visiting American journalists and requests further information on Mrs. Baldwin's case and the passport applications of Irish Volunteers H. Delaney and F. O'D. Also notes that all court correspondence must be written on official paper. 14 July 1920 1p See also PR4/4/62 64 Copy letter from MacSwiney to C.S. (Chief of Staff, Richard Mulcahy) concerning general security. Includes his hope that all English Justices of the Peace will be called on to resign especially in the light of Dublin Castle's new scheme to use them on military and police committees. Also includes details of the police barracks that have been destroyed in the Cork City and asks advice on whether private individuals may occupy the vacant barracks on King Street and Lower Road now that they have 'been purified'. 14 July 1920 1p

© All Rights Reserved Cork City Council 1995, 2010

- 31 -

Powered by